Chow mein is the chosen people choose food? One theory assumes that:
* Chinese food does not use dairy (unlike the other two major long-term national cuisine, in the United States, Italy and Mexico), so when a growing number of Jews remain Jewish, Chinese food easy to eat.
* Chinese and two of the largest among the Jews (if not the two largest) non-Christian immigrant groups, so that they follow a similar calendar. This is the Christmas food may come from China, because Chinese restaurants open.
* Garlic, rice, chicken in an Eastern European with a familiar taste.
* Chinese food is not too expensive, involving family-style sharing.
* Chinese food as the representative of the way to become universal.
* Chinatown and the Lower East Side, where the number of Jewish immigrants at the turn of the century a lot about life, mutual border. In fact, the Eldridge Street Synagogue, the oldest in the United States, one of the Jewish prayer, is now to face these days in Chinatown. (It even has a cone section.)